11.7.10

Veggies Ahoy!



Nothing worth reporting on has been produced in our kitchen in the last few weeks, so here's the next best thing - potential future meals from our backyard! Y and our neighbour ploughed up the yard a few months ago and planted many things, some of which are now almost ready to eat! Hooray! I did my best to cleverly photograph just the vegetables and not the weeds, but it turned out to be an impossible task. At least it's proof that we don't use herbicides I suppose. So, we have eggplants, yellow zucchinis (which M was devastated to discover only LOOK like bananas), and shishito (somewhere between a chilli and a capsicum). Tomatoes, chillis, pumpkins, and cucumbers are still on the way. It was a long cold winter this year - there was apparently still snow on the ground in May - which means everyone's vegetables have gotten off to a slow start. That is to say in practical terms, that cucumbers are being given away by the handful, not by the bucketful like they were this time last year.




The hydrangeas have started flowering around here at last as well which is really exciting. I never realised how much I liked them before. When I went to take some photos of the ones in our garden, this is what I found though! I got totally distracted and never got around to photographing the flowers! I'm going to have to go and find out what it's called now.



And here, with nothing much else to distract my attention, I ended up taking some flower photos. These are the hydrangeas flowering at the Shinto shrine next door to our house. It wasn't really great weather today, but you get the idea. Aren't they just ever so pretty?

2 comments:

  1. You're going to be eating well! :-)

    The butterfly is beautiful... I think it is some kind of swallowtail, not sure which exact one though:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World_Swallowtail

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Swallowtail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks heaps! I wasn't really sure where to start even. I just had a look at the links, and it looks like the Old World Swallowtail. They seem to be everywhere, amazing that I'd never seen one before (or never remembered it anyway!)

    ReplyDelete