14.9.09

Fishies! And learning to cook them.

I've always been a bit terrified of cooking fish that can't just be treated like a steak, like tuna and salmon. Which something I have been lamenting for quite some time, what with the supermarkets here seeming to have lots in common with aquariums. As in there are lots of exciting and potentially delicious things from the sea. Not that that's how I think about the seals and dolphins swimming around too...hmmm...anyway, I think you know what I mean!

We were given some of these little guys the other day, their English name is Saury, Sanma in Japanese. A kind neighbour who just happened to drop by rescued me, and showed me how to cook them. Eternal gratitude is heading her way! You just: Score them on each side with a knife. Sprinkle them with salt. Wait 5 or 10 minutes. Put under the grill for about 10 minutes each side, and all done! Maybe even easier than a steak! I highly recommend it. Just watch out for the bones!

1 comment:

  1. I'd know that chopping boad anywhere haha.

    Hope you're enjoying the fish sounds too easy to be true

    ReplyDelete